Gary’s music is a rare hybrid of melodic progressive trance, celtic & world music and cinematic orchestral electronica. His versatility lies in his being able to exhibit the sensitivity in combining music of different cultures required for a wide range of film, world and electronica genre.
More below but hear his music:
- Over 300 tracks on iTunes
- Several albums and orphan tracks on SoundCloud
- 16 major artist remixes on Indaba
- On this site (several albums on the ‘Music’ menu drop down)
Gary became interested in music at an early age and was playing guitar and clarinet by the age of 9. He was already composing piano pieces by the age 11 and was playing & writing in several signed bands through to early twenties. He gained a BA in music & physics at Manchester University. After University Gary founded Audio Images his own music and multimedia production company as one of the first in the UK to use computers and sample equipment and began creating commercial music for TV, Radio and Advertising. He also co-produced and worked with renowned Manchester bands during this period. He composed many library albums and had works regularly played on BBC TV and National Radio, scores for documentaries and drama, including stage work.
Gary also began teaching Music and Multimedia Production at Central Manchester College for two years before moving to the London based Guildhall School and finally lecturing at the famous BRIT School for four years working with artists. At the BRIT school he mentored emerging young artists in the studio such as Imogen Heap & Lynden David Hall and developed new forms of interactive on and offline performance pieces. Gary also organised, performed and composed for contemporary music festivals in London such as the Contemporary Composers Festival in collaboration with the Royal Academy of Music.
He then went to work at the BBC for eight years as a key new media Senior Development Producer but continued scoring, sound scaping and writing music for film, TV and interactive including several at the BBC (Human Body & The Troubles Interactive, Bach, Musical Nomad etc:). He has a continued interest in the participatory potential for music creation in a web 2.0 world and as well as specialising in progressive trance and film now he lectures (amongst other emerging media areas) in music & soundscaping for games, generative composition and future music tech.
- Film Soundtracks – e.g: In The Shadow of Wings
- OTB (Outside-the-Box) Analog Music Tech, Composed and Performed Live (as video jams) – YouTube Playlist
- Improvisational Piano, Harp, Guitar, Clarinet & Saxophone – YouTube Playlist
- Progressive Trance – YouTube Playlist
- His own voice music – Over 300 tracks on iTunes and SoundCloud and on this site (some albums on the ‘Music’ menu drop down)
Instruments Gary plays:
- Celtic and orchestral harp
- Clarinet (major university instrument)
- Classical and electric guitars (secondary university instrument)
- Piano and keyboards
- Saxophone – soprano primarily
- Bass guitar (5 string)
- Akai Ewi – electronic wind instrument
- OTB Music Tech – based on Elektron Analog 4 & Machine Drum, supplemented by Korg Kaossilators and iPad synths
- ITB (Inside-the-Box, Computer DAW music). Logic Pro DAW with Reason, Live, Omnisphere, Gladiator and more
Salvi Lever Concert Harp
Five String Bass
World Instruments eg: Turkish Saz & Digeridoo
Akai EWI 4000s Electronic Wind Instrument